Makes four 10-inch pizzas
Making your own pizza from start to finish is fun and satisfying! From mixing and kneading the dough, to chopping up fresh tomatoes and sweet bell peppers, to grating cheese and slicing up fresh basil—it’s a great way to engage kids in the kitchen! Enjoy with this tri-color salad on the side.
Quick tips: You can make the dough the evening before and let it rest in the fridge, either covered in the bowl or wrapped in plastic wrap. Just pull the dough out about 30 minutes before you plan to roll it out. Also, you can cook the pizzas on the stovetop, on the grill, or even bake them in the oven on baking sheets. If you decide to bake your pizzas, make sure to preheat your oven to 425°F while you’re preparing your toppings.
- 1 cup warm water
- ¾ teaspoon baking yeast
- 1½ teaspoon honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2¼ cups unbleached white flour + additional flour for kneading
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Make the pizza dough
- In a medium bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Let sit 2 to 3 minutes, until the yeast is dissolved. Stir in the honey and whole wheat flour.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the white flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the whole wheat mixture, stirring to form a rough dough.
- On a clean, lightly floured work surface, knead the dough for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a ball, rub with the olive oil, cover and let it rise until the pizza toppings are ready.
Prepare the pizza toppings
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses. In another bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Make the pizzas
- Divide the dough to make 4 equal balls. On a clean, lightly floured work surface, roll each ball into a circle that is 10 inches in diameter.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet or griddle over medium high heat until it is hot.
- Transfer the rolled pizza crust to the skillet or griddle and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the dough.
- Spread one fourth of the tomato mixture on top of the cooked side of the dough to make an even layer. Top with ½ cup of the cheese mixture.
- Cover the pan and continue to cook the pizza until the toppings are hot and the bottom of the crust is golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the pizza to a cutting board and cut into wedges to serve. Repeat this process to make 3 more pizzas.