- 1 cup warm water
- ½ teaspoon baking yeast
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1¾ cups unbleached white flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- In a bowl, combine the water and yeast. Let sit for 2 minutes, until the yeast dissolves. Stir in the yogurt. Then stir in the whole wheat flour and sesame seeds.
- In another bowl, stir together the unbleached white flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry mixture to the first bowl, stirring to form a soft dough. On a clean, lightly floured work surface, knead the dough for 3 to 5 minutes. Add only enough flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Rub the dough with the olive oil.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Form each piece of dough into a ball. Use a rolling pin to roll each piece of dough into a circle about 8 inches in diameter.
- Cook the flatbreads on a hot griddle for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and slightly puffed. Stack the cooked flatbreads on a plate and cover with a clean cloth.