- 3 baking potatoes, peeled (about 4½ cups grated potatoes)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Additional vegetable oil for cooking, optional
- 1 cup sour cream, optional
- Grate peeled potatoes directly into a bowl of water. Transfer the grated potatoes into a colander and press them to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, salt, pepper, and vegetable oil. Add the flour, whisking to combine. Add the potatoes and sliced green onion and mix well.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Spread a small amount of oil evenly over the surface. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture to form each potato pancake. Flatten the pancakes with a spatula and cook until dark golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Serve immediately topped with applesauce and sour cream, if using.