Applesauce is easy to make. By varying how long you cook the sauce, you can choose to make it chunky or smooth. Cooking unpeeled apples allows the applesauce to become a pretty shade of pink. For smooth applesauce, put the cooked sauce through a food mill or wire strainer. Enjoy homemade applesauce with potato pancakes and sweet and sour red cabbage.
Makes about 3 cups
- 7 medium apples
- ½ cup apple juice or water
- ¼ cup sugar or honey, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- Core and cut the apples into bite-sized chunks.
- Put the apples into a medium saucepan.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until the apples are tender.