Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Taking inspiration from our 6th grade quinoa salad challenge, we invite you to get creative with this salad! This basic version features cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers, and cucumbers, but for a little something extra, try adding chickpeas, avocado, or even feta cheese. Enjoy with Mediterranean Flatbreads.
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup sliced Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Make the Quinoa
- Put the quinoa into a bowl with some cool water. Swirl the quinoa around gently and then drain.
- Combine rinsed quinoa and 2 cups of water in a covered pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until water is completely absorbed about 15 minutes.
- When done, quinoa will be soft and a white ring will pop out of the kernel. Fluff the quinoa with a fork.
Make the Dressing and Salad
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, oil, salt and ground pepper. Mix well.
- Combine red peppers, green onions, tomatoes, cucumber, and olives in a large bowl. Add dressing. Mix in quinoa. Add parsley and mix.