- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed or ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground red chile
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (15-ounce) cans lentils
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cumin and sauté until fragrant, but not brown. Add the chile and coriander and stir for 20 seconds more.
- Stir in the lentils with their juice, tomatoes, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, uncovered. Remove from the heat and cover.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro. Traditionally, lentils are spooned over rice and served in bowls.