Makes 16 chapatis
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1½ cups warm water
- In a bowl, mix together the unbleached white flour, whole wheat flour, and salt. Stir in the melted butter. Next, add the water gradually, until a soft dough is formed.
- On a lightly floured clean work surface, knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and return it to the mixing bowl. Cover with a clean cloth and let rest for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Use a rolling pin to roll out each ball of dough into a circle that is about 4 inches in diameter.
- Cook the chapatis on a hot griddle for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and slightly puffed. Stack the cooked chapatis on a plate and cover with a clean cloth. Serve warm.