Carrot Rice Pilaf
Enjoy with Indian lentils, chapatis, and mango fruit salad.
Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup peeled and grated carrot
- 3½ cups water
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Put the rice into a bowl with some cool water. Swirl the rice around and then drain the rice. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times, until the water is clear.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the rice and grated carrots and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 3½ cups water, the cinnamon stick, and salt. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.
- Cook the rice for about 20 minutes, until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Let the rice rest for 10 minutes before serving.