Coconut Rice Balls
Enjoy with East Asian Noodles.
Makes about 15 one-inch rice balls.
- ½ cup sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon + 1½ teaspoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon pure almond extract
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup mango pieces, optional
- Combine the rice, water, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and partially cover. Cook until all of the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir the coconut milk, sugar, and almond extract into the rice. Let the rice cool to lukewarm. Using wet fingers, take about 1 teaspoon of rice and roll it into a ball. Roll each rice ball in coconut to coat it.
- Just before serving, garnish each rice ball with a strip of mango, if using.