These simple cakes are a delicious addition to any meal–and they make great leftovers! Letting the grated zucchini rest while you prepare the other ingredients helps remove excess moisture from the mixture and creates a more flavorful cake.
Makes about eighteen 3-inch cakes.
- 3 medium zucchini
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ medium onion
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Butter or oil for cooking
- Grate the zucchini into a colander. Place the colander in a bowl, sprinkle the zucchini with salt and let rest for at least 15 minutes, up to one hour.
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the grated zucchini as possible by pressing it against the colander. Place grated zucchini in a large bowl.
- Add the onion, eggs, oregano, pepper, flour, and feta cheese, if using. Stir until just combined.
- Heat a skillet to medium high. Heat the butter or oil in the skillet.
- Form heaping spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture into the small patties and place in the skillet, turning once when the patties are golden brown. Allow to cool until patties are firm.