Black Bean Tostadas
Whether you make homemade corn tortillas or buy prepared tostada shells, these tostadas are a delicious family meal.
Serves 4 – 6
- 2 cans (15 oz ea.) black beans
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano or ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces mild cheddar cheese grated
- ½ head Romaine lettuce thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- Salsa Fresca
- Drain the juice from one can of black beans. Empty both cans of beans into a bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the beans until they are no longer whole. Set the mashed beans aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the black beans. When the beans begin to boil, reduce the heat to low, stir in the salt and oregano and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. Keep warm until ready to serve.