Cooking with Kids Mission
- Cooking with Kids educates and empowers children and families to make healthy food choices through hands-on learning with fresh, affordable foods from diverse cultural traditions.
Cooking with Kids Vision
- We envision a world where cooking is part of life, where all people have the skills and means to eat and enjoy nourishing, wholesome food every day.
Cooking with Kids Core Values
- We believe that delicious, nourishing food is the right of every child every day.
- We believe in respecting and honoring all cultures.
- We believe in youth as a catalyst for sustainable change of the food system.
When children help prepare healthy foods, they are more likely to eat and enjoy them.
Many of us were fortunate to grow up with parents and grandparents, neighbors and friends who cooked and gardened, sharing with us the value and pleasure of food. Growing, cooking, and eating fresh foods became a cherished part of our lives. Bringing healthy foods into the classroom can increase students’ awareness, appreciation, and knowledge of healthy eating. Our experience supports research that finds that children need to be offered a new food a number of times before they accept it, and as such, we work to expose students to a variety of positive food choices while honoring the individual choice and preference of each child. We believe in being good stewards of our environment and supporting our community. Whenever possible, we purchase locally grown produce in order to support our local economy and sustainable growing practices.
To learn more about our work in Santa Fe, New Mexico, click here!